Like ye olde days of MySpace: 50 Random Questions
I finally pulled the trigger and created a public Facebook page for the blog. I'm also trying to reach out to other bloggers so I feel like this would be a good way to introduce myself that goes beyond the typical About Me. I'm a pretty open book so feel free to ask me things if you are curious. I used these questions from a blog called Still Being Molly. Thanks girl! I kind of feel like this blog is a bit of a party at my house and you're invited! These seemed interesting.
1. What’s your favorite candle scent? Pine. I love the smell of the woods. When I was younger, we lived out West and my family would go camping all the time. It just reminds me of being serene. In fact, when I went to the Candle Lab, my scent was Twin Peaks inspired. I called it Agent Cooper.
2. What female celebrity do you wish you were related to? Kristen Bell. She just seems like a genuine person and she cracks me up. I think she is an amazing actress and an incredibly loving person. We also both cherish our children's privacy. I think she and Dax would be good friends with my husband and I.
3. What male celebrity do you wish was your brother? Ummmmm....tbh Will Arnett. I know, I know, I'm pissed about his breakup with Amy Poehler and I know he has struggles. However, he consistently makes me laugh and I would like to hang out with him. Seriously, he makes me happy whenever he is on Conan. He also seems like he observes everything.
4. What’s your favorite thing about marriage? (And if you’re not married, what’s your favorite thing about being single? The fact I have someone who is there for me when I really need him. The fact that we make each other laugh and we go through this life as a team. I am really fortunate to be married to someone I both love and like. That's hard to find.
5. What’s one thing you own that you should probably get rid of, but just can’t? I literally have way....too many perfumes from when I was a hardcore Sephora addict. My best friend almost had an intervention after I took her to a "private VIP" thing at Sephora. She was like "how much do you have to spend to be here?" I told her and she was like "yeah, you have a problem." But in my defense, I used to live in an apartment without air conditioning and I just wanted something to help me smell better. But yeah, I never wear perfume and I have no idea why I have so many.
6. Can you do a split? Ha! No.
7. How old were you when you learned how to ride a bike? 10. I was really really stubborn about it. To be honest, I forgot how to ride one.
8. How many oceans have you swam in? Atlantic and Pacific
9. How many countries have you been to? Mexico, Canada, England, France, Monaco, Spain, Italy, and Ireland. I'd like to go to way...more. Alas, I am le broke.
10. Is anyone in your family in the army? My late father was in the Air Force. I was a military brat. It shaped me in a lot of ways that I am just now realizing.
11. What was your favorite TV show when you were a child? I loved Doug and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?
12. What did you dress up as on Halloween when you were eight? I went as the cover of the book "Ramona Quimby, Age 8." I had these big floppy rabbit ears and everyone thought I was a rabbit. I was the cover of a book!
13. Have you read any of the Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight series? I have read all of them but didn't finish the Hunger Games series and I really hated Twilight. So many things wrong with it. Vampires don't sparkle and Edward was a total stalker. I also can't relate to women that ll kinds of men want. Like I felt like Bella didn't have a personality and I hated her. Anyway...
14. Would you rather have an American accent or a British accent? Ha American! I lived in Englad for a semester and the British accent lost it's charm real quick. Except British children! I like my weird Wisconsin/southern Ohio accent. Also, there are a million British accents.
15. Have you ever taken karate lessons? Nope.
16. Do you know who Kermit the frog is? Don't get me started on the Rainbow Connection. (Love!)
17. What’s the first amusement park you’ve been to? King's Island (Southern OH remember?) But I soon learned the joy that is Cedar Point. I really love that one.
18. What language, besides your native language, would you like to be fluent in? Spanish. I hear it everyday and I would love to know it!
19. Do you spell the color as grey or gray? Gray.
20. Do you know triplets? My freshman year roomie in college was in a set of triplets. Her sister works at the hospital I work at as well.
21. Do you prefer Titanic or The Notebook? Titanic. I was twelve when that came out and had the BIGGEST crush on Leonardo DiCaprio. It was so romantic. My Heart Will Go On is just one of those songs that takes you back.
22. Have you ever had Indian food? It's one of my faves! If you are in the Dayton area I HIGHLY suggest Ajanta India. I ate there before prom.
23. What’s the name of your favorite restaurant? Oh man, so many. I would say my favorite restaurant in Columbus is Dough Mama. I met the proprietor and I love the vibe. One of my absolute favorite places. I love supporting women owned businesses and this place is just fabulous. I also love Fox in the Snow, Cap City Fine Diner, and Si Senor.
24. Have you ever been to Olive Garden? Yes. Several times. We used to go there for soup, salad, and breadsticks when I was little. My husband refuses to eat there so it's a nice place to go with just me and my Mom.
25. What would your parents have named you if you were the opposite gender? Michael. My Mom has said if they knew about the name Michaela that would have been me.
26. If you have a nickname, what is it? Ali, Alibelle, and Ali, Queen of Tots (long may she reign).
27. Who’s your favorite person in the world? I can't narrow it down to one! I have the best friends and family ever.
28. Would you rather live in a rural area or in the suburbs? City ideally. But the 'burbs for sure. I don't like driving on country roads. I don't like how isolated the country is. I don't like how everyone knows your business in the country. I like the anonymity of being in the city. I'm really a suburban girl. In fact, Zsa Zsa Gabor from Green Acres is me. "Darling I love you but give me Park Avenue!"
29. Can you whistle? No.
30. Do you sleep with a nightlight? Much like chocolate, the darker the better.
31. Do you eat breakfast every morning? I really try. I am not pleasant if I don't.
32. How many times have you been to the hospital? Well if you want to get technical I work at one so...like a lot. But, I have had 3 surgeries and trips to the ER due to my back. I was in the hospital for three days when I gave birth to my son.
33. Have you ever seen Finding Nemo? Yes. I actually have a cousin named Nemo. I loved that movie. It was weird though because people believed he was named after the movie (he wasn't) and it was an interesting conversation starter for a while. I remember I met a Dory and told him about it and we said they needed to go to Marlon Brando's grave so it would be a trifecta reunion of people with names from that movie.
35. What’s the last compliment you got? It was Eryn from 614 Mom saying my blog was AMAZING!! Thanks! I love her as a person and as a blogger. She's amazing and so encouraging.
36. Do you usually remember your dreams in the morning? If they are really bad or seem prescient. I had a dream my late Uncle Mike came down to check up on me when I was pregnant. I have a lot of dreams where my Dad is still alive. I haven't had a really great dream in a while. Most of the time they are really mundane. I did have a dream about a paper mache Harry Potter when I was younger and I won first place for art at the county fair. My sister still is jealous about that! Her art was objectively better but the judges liked me more Haters make me work harder!
37. Favorite beverage that isn’t water? Coffee. I love coffee and I need it. I prefer it black. A good black coffee is one of the most perfect things in this world. One of my favorite memories was drinking coffee and eating beignets at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. One of those perfect meals where you just people watch.
38. How many pairs of shoes do you currently own? More than I need. I have a herniated disc that gets exacerbated by just about every non orthopedic shoe. Be jealous. So I'm down to my sneakers and these Dansko clogs. It's been a rude awakening about footwear. But I really don't care, I just need to be mobile.
39. How old were you when you found out that Santa wasn’t real? I was six and then on Christmas Day I got this doll I really wanted. I said earnestly, "Santa must be real because you guys are too cheap to get me stuff like this." So I've been blunt since birth. My parents got a kick out of it though.
40. What is one food that you used to hate but now you love? Beets. Well prepared beets with garlic and olive oil are amazing.
41. What is a weird lie you’ve told? I exaggerate but I really can't lie. I was raised to be honest and take the consequences. The one that comes to mind is last year my husband, son, and I were stuck behind a stalled train. I really had to use the bathroom and I ran to a pizza place. I asked if I could use the bathroom and the woman said "go to the bar next door." I had left my wallet in the car- I had to pee that bad- and I said "I can't." Also, the bar next door had shut blinds and looked sketchy AF. I hate going to bars like that alone. She looked at me and asked if I was under 21. Mind you I was 32. I was so desperate- I said yes. She just looked at me like Larry David and literally rolled her eyes and said "yes." But that hasn't happened in a long time.
42. Heels or flats? See my back issues. When I was a single young lady a guy approached me at a bar while I was sitting down. We talked for a bit and he spewed some bullshit about how you can tell how outgoing a woman is by her heels. I said, "my sister wears high heels and I only wear flats and I'm way more extroverted than she is." I stood up and he was one of those guys who can't handle tall women so he was shocked. I'm 5'10. Heels hurt my back. I'm not above wearing chunky heels for my boots and what not but I'm not a stiletto girl.
43. Do you have any weird phobias? I'm afraid of everything. I take medication for it. Next.
44. What is a phrase or word you always say? MARK!! to my husband. This apparently is a calling card for me. Oh and "fabulous!"
45. What is a song that you bast or belt out when you are alone? Haha. I have too many but this is one of them that I sing a lot because it's a little too true. It's also fun to belt out. Punk, pop or otherwise is the best.
46. What is one of your biggest pet peeves? People who are mean but not funny. They just are nasty for no reason and they know better. There are some people who are earnestly awful but people who have the capacity to use their energy to be kind and choose not to-awful.
47. Do you sleep with your closet door open or closed? Closed because one of our cats is a notorious piddler and has peed on our laundry too many times. Living the glamorous cat mom life.
48. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees? Eek. Neither. I saw that "I Survived" with the guy who got attacked by a beer and wore an eyepatch. It was horrific. It was like a nineteenth century cautionary tale. He was straight out of Melville.
49. Do you have any weird things you do? Umm, I have a bunch of systems that get me through the day. I have a lot of weird things. I like to reverse park and then make my car as perfect as possible at work. I'm really anal about it. I need to find the perfect spot to do it-ideally three open spaces although I've made do with 2.
50. What movie could you watch over and over again and still love? Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? My family LOVES the Coen brothers and this is one of our faves. From the music to the acting to the quotable dialogue. When I got engaged I told my sister "he's bonafide!" Which was a big deal! I loved every second of that movie and the soundtrack is superb.
So there you have it. 50 facts about me! I love you guys and I love these bizarre quizzes. Let me know if there are any more of these that you like!